Wednesday 28 March 2018

The High Fives- March 2018




This month has been all about stimulating the senses. As I drafted a list of what what I've been enjoying this past few weeks I quickly realised that it's mostly been about sparking the imagination and inspiring new ideas. When the weather's a bit naff and a break away somewhere hot isn't on any imminent horizon, a sure fired way to get out of a funk is to enjoy new things or rediscover old favourites. 

   With a busy month of productions going on stage (I choreograph for a living) dining out and indeed dining well has sadly not been a feature. Tupperware dinners and copious gallons of coffee have fuelled the month of March, so despite not being able to give any foodie recommendations, what I can offer you is equally delicious. As you read on, you'll discover that I commuted my way through March to the soundtrack of many a podcast episode and music download. There was a bit of time for retail therapy and some inspiring viewing which has left me longing to go travelling. Enjoy!




PODCASTS




I'm always on the hunt for a new series to add to my collection. With an episode roughly lasting 30-45 mins, I can devour a few in one day if I'm commuting a fair bit. I have my faves which I've already introduced you to, but this month I've been loving a couple of newbies. Firstly Fearne Cotton's Happy Place is one which I knew I'd enjoy. Interviewing the likes of Stephen Fry, Paloma Faith and writer Matt Haig they explore life and what happiness looks like for them. Uplifting and insightful, I highly recommend you tune in weekly for a dose of feel good vibes and in depth discussion around mental health issues. 

Find 'Happy Place by Fearne Cotton' here: 
https://itunes.apple.com/gb/podcast/happy-place/id1353058891?mt=2





Already an avid fan of her other podcast 'The High Low' with fellow journalist Pandora Sykes, I knew Dolly Alderton's 'Love Stories' was going to be a perfect match for my motorway marathons. From first times to heartbreaks, passions to unrequited love each week a new guest divulges the most intimate details of their most defining relationships. Light-hearted yet weighted by some real poignant and topical discussions each episode is a joy from start to finish with a heady mix of vulnerability, wisdom and laugh out loud anecdotes.  

Find 'Love Stories with Dolly Alderton' here: 
https://itunes.apple.com/au/podcast/love-stories/id1343714594?mt=2






DOCUMENTARIES

Photo courtesy of http://www.leonlogothetis.com
It's rarity to get some sofa/telly time but when I do I take full advantage and try to take sole ownership of the remote control if at all possible. Hubby and I are guilty of mindlessly scrolling through Netflix struggling to find something we'll both want to watch. Akin to the vultures in The Jungle Book indecisiveness plagues our relationship and we often find ourselves deliberating back and forth, with very little progress being made in terms of making a decision on an array of topics, including what kind of takeaway food to order.   We both enjoy a documentary and feeling like we both needed some pick-me-up viewing, I tuned into episode one of 'The Kindness Diaries'. Relying entirely on the kindness of strangers, former broker Leon Logothesis embarks on an around the world tour in his yellow motorbike, Kindness One. In return for the shelter, food, fuel and friendship he is offered by so many Leon repays the kindness he has been shown in the most extraordinary ways, realising some dreams for his unsuspecting new friends who were only to happy to help a man in need. Episode one was so gripping  we subsequently devoured all 13 episodes in the one sitting! Surely that speaks volumes?! If you want to restore you faith in the human race this is the series for you.  

Check out this trailer for 'The Kindness Diaries' here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vN51oWwwbqg



Photo from https://www.netflix.com/



Watching this then sparked my interest in world travel (can you tell I'm dire need of a holiday?!) and so the following evening we watched 'Expedition Happiness' on Netflix- a vlog-style account of one couple's adventures travelling in their converted school bus from Alaska to Argentina. Breathtaking scenery, chance encounters and the inevitable set-backs of crossing the globe in a bus, film-maker Felix Starck and his musician girlfriend Mogli both from Berlin, with their very cute dog Rudi in tow, explore the Americas documenting every step of the way. Inspiring viewing indeed! 




Check out their YouTube page: 
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCDfAt3KEBpjVWsDkBY_OdAg




ISLA CANDLES


I was thrilled to discover I'd won an Instagram competition this month with the prize including three gorgeous candles from Isla Candles. With each scent inspired by travel I felt this was very apt following my Netflix-athon of travel documentaries. Born from the founders' memories of their wedding in Mallorca, each fragrance although sourced in Scotland, is reminiscent of their adventures abroad. 

Perfectly packaged and beautifully presented, these candles would make a perfect wedding day scent, a birthday gift or a treat to oneself. Having burned the scent 'Mallorca' I can safely say these handmade with 100% eco soy wax candles are worth investing in for a fresh, inviting home scent. We also love 'Granada'. 


Check out the website for their entire range:
http://islacandles.co.uk















ANNE-MARIE
Photo from twitter.com/annemarie

Choreographing for a living I listen to A LOT of music in any one day, spanning many decades and from all genres. I tend not to keep abreast of the charts, opting for podcasts rather than the radio on my commutes, mainly to stop me from 'working' as I drive. However one current artist that I've been loving for sometime is Anne-Marie. Her track with Rudimental, featuring Sean Paul 'Rockabye' soared to number one in the charts in 2016 and from then she's enjoyed much success at home in the UK and across the globe, with hits 'Ciao Adios' and 'Alarm'. In a bid to stick to my new year's resolution to enjoy more live music and theatre I jumped at the chance to see her at Glasgow's o2 Academy just last night and she did not disappoint. Her distinct tone, insane resister and unique phrasing matched by her passionate performance is something quite remarkable. Even if her music isn't your cup of tea, the raw talent she possesses both as a performer and song writer is undeniable. Although I prefer the stripped,acoustic back versions of some of her most well-known tracks, the power of her band behind her was impressive. There's nothing quite like live music and Anne-Marie as a force on stage is both captivating and inspiring. 

Here is a link to one of my favourite versions of her track 'Ciao Adios'
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZCQRBqJxSI4





#CHARITYSHOPFRIDAY


If you've been following us on Instagram for some time you'll know I'm partial to a charity shop bargain or two. I love unearthing something super affordable that I feel is the perfect addition to my wardrobe, without the pang of guilt that comes with high street/online shopping. Being self-employed I'm frugal and don't like to splash the cash on myself but with charity shop buying it's practically sin-free with the added bonus of helping support a worthy cause to boot. I mostly have a Friday afternoons free and often find myself perusing the rails of my local shops in the hope of picking up something pretty. Our Instagram family have been appreciating my weekly posts teamed with the hashtag #charityshopfriday and it got me to thinking-what sort of treasure is everyone else discovering in their local thrift/charity shops? So as March comes to a close, we are striding into April in the hope that we can spread the joy that is bargain hunting by asking our followers to share their #charityshopfriday purchases. In addition, I love to see how others piece an outfit together using their wardrobe staples along-with vintage or second-hand items. Don't worry if you bought that £2.50 skirt from The Salvation Army store on Tuesday...just wait until Friday to give us the low down on your weekly finds. With trends coming full circle, if you're someone who likes to keep up with what's 'in' right now you're bound to rummage your way to finding exactly what you are looking for at a fraction of the price. Happy shopping-can't wait to see what you find!





No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.