Saturday 10 March 2018

A Letter to Mum



Mum, 

I wonder if you realised just how all consuming being a mum would be before we came along. I guess for you it was a switch that turned on and never went off again. In the 35 years and 6 months I've been on this planet, you have never taken one day off from being a mum. You live and breathe us and we feel the love you have for us surround us wherever we are and whatever we are going through. If we need anything, and I mean ANYTHING you're right there with it. From sewing a few buttons on something to sorting out my entire life in one phone call, you never fail to offer sound advice, a shoulder to cry on and your absolute undivided attention. Like a hot plate, you'd drop whatever you were doing to be by our side, no questions asked. You are hands down the most kind, selfless, hard-working, positive, caring person I know and my entire life I've only ever wanted to make you proud of me. Your approval and support means everything, for you are the epitome of what a role model is. You have never pressured or coerced us to do or be anything other than who we wanted to be. Even in times of uncertainty, you knew me inside out. You know me better than I know myself. 



 I know that in my lifetime there will never be the time, nor the words to express my gratitude for everything you've ever done for me. No amount of chocolates, flowers or lunch dates could ever repay the unrelenting, unquestionable love you show us every single day. You're my adviser, my cheerleader, my accountant (yup, the job you love the most!), my devil's advocate, my confident but most importantly, my friend. There was a time when I'd think "if I could be half as good a mum as you are, I'd be delighted!". But what really matters now is that I try to be as good a friend to you as you are to me. You don't just hear me, you listen. You don't just know me, you understand and for all of it I thank you for being the best friend I've ever had. 


Love Lisa x




To my friends who are Mums,

I vigorously applaud you, in absolute awe of the daily juggling act you perform, simultaneously handling jobs, homes, kids, partners, friendships, pets and family. I see the struggle and it is real but you each approach it bravely, battling fears and the unknown with absolute grace. The tears, tantrums and endless worries that motherhood presents you face head on, never giving yourself the credit deserved for keeping your head (and your brood) above water. You're all swans. Watching you become a mum has truly been the one of the most amazing experiences of my life. Any self doubt you may have had prior to your bundle of joy arriving was, of course, completely natural but totally unfounded, as you're nailing the role, passing with flying colours. Yeah it's damn hard and there are probably moments (or entire days) where you are questioning everything and nothing seems to be going 'right' but always know that I'm over here in the corner being your biggest cheerleader. My limited knowledge and lack of experience aside, I see how awesome a mum you are (I have one so I know what that looks like!) and as your friend, I will endeavour to remind your wee ones as they grown up that they're incredibly lucky to have you as their mum....even when you're enforcing chores, limiting online time or not allowing them to go to a house party. I got your back girl! 

Each of your stories are different, from conception to birth, first words to big steps and with each milestone I've watched in amazement as you orchestrate the best life possible for your wee yins. The painful, sleep-deprived, cabin-fevered triumphs astound me-how have you not gone crazy?! The love that binds you and your child is palpable, it's oozes from you and it's a love like no other. They take you to the brink, test every fibre of your being and yet, your love never wavers (although your patience might at times). You wipe noses, bums and slates clean,  never holding a grudge,  always looking to make the day better. You are secondary, an after-thought, someone in the background but you're the glue. Remember you are the glue.

 I don't know how you are doing it. Life, that is. I've only got me to worry about. No tiny human is reliant on me turning up and answering to their every whim and yet I find this adulting thing tough. I guess you'd reply to that saying something like, 'You'd be the same. You'd be a great mum' and I'd reply with, 'Nah, I'm not so sure about that'. Truth is. I'm certain I'd try my hardest, as you've shown me it's all worth it. For all the belly-laughs, sleepyheads, high fives and sing-along car journeys you treasure and the many adventures still to come your way, I wish nothing but sheer joy for you and fabulous kids. I consider myself extremely blessed to be on this journey with you all. To share the highs and lows with you is a privilege and I thank you for inviting me in to your world and in to your family as it continues to grow. You are a marvellous mum and I'm proud to call you my friend. 

You ROCK!
Lisa x



Mother's Day, in my opinion, should be every day. All mums should be shown the love, respect and gratitude for everything they have done and continue to do for us daily. Who ever you call mum, don't wait to tell them how wonderful they are or how safe or loved they make you feel. You're a grown ass adult now (I'm assuming so if you're reading this) and you spent long enough as a kid taking her for granted, expecting her to be there at your beck and call, never showing her the thanks she deserves for the pleasure of it. Use your words and  your hugs to let her know that everything she does is a real blessing that you'll treasure forever.

Happy Mother's Day. 
Weesse x







No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.