Thursday 1 March 2018

The High Fives- February 2018






I write to you as #thebeastfromtheeast takes hold of Bonnie Scotland. It's a snowy abyss out there and it would seem that we're destined to be held up in our IRL snow globe for a few days, so I thought it best I aim to be a tad productive whilst I can't get to work (which is causing me mild anxiety to say the least!). Looking out in to the winter wonderland before us I can't believe that we're almost in to the month of March. Firstly, the frightful weather is not hinting at an emergence of Spring any time soon but also, once again, I'm arriving at the end of a month flabbergasted that time has flown by in the blink of an eye. Not so much an action-packed month for us, February has mostly been about working and settling into 2018 (whatever that means!). The highlight was Hubby celebrating turning 40, with an epic 13 hour-long house party (yup!) and me proving to be hostess with the mostess- my Wife of the Year award must've got lost in the post....again?!

I won't lie I struggled to concoct a list of favourites/recommendations for February-tut tut February, must do better! However, here's a few titbits you may enjoy as we creep tentatively in to March (praying for blue skies and NO MORE SNOW!). 



PODCASTS


Becoming a regular feature in The High Fives, podcasts are literally life savers when it comes to my daily commute. As a freelance artist I travel a fair bit by car and mostly solo. I shouldn't be left alone too long with my over-active, worrier of a brain, so podcasts are an excellent distraction as I make my way to and from my places of work but more than that, they can be so informative and thought-provoking (the good kind of thoughts, that is!). This month I discovered a new firm fave thanks to Erica Davies (fashion editor and Insta-Goddess). How I Built This with Guy Raz offers fascinating insight into the stories of entrepreneurs, idealists and innovators who created some of the world's most well-known, successful brands and companies. From Instagram to Kate Spade, Buzzfeed to Spanx this podcast series is not only incredibly interesting but really quite inspiring as each of the guests recount the highs and the lows they overcame to build their movement. As I'm late to the party, I'm making my way through the back catalogue but honestly, every episode has been worth listening to. Highly recommend! 





When I've not been planning my next empire thanks to How I Built This, I've also been listening to Table Manners with Jessie Ware. I only became aware of singer Jessie Ware on New Year's eve as we faithfully tuned in to Jools Holland Hootenanny. I loved her voice and her style and so, as with everything I see these days, I looked her up on Instagram only then to learn she hosts a podcast with her mum Lennie. Centred around their love of home-cooked food, music and family they invite a guest/s (many a well-known name in there) to join them for a meal and a chat. The mother-daughter rapport is endearing and at times, frankly hilarious. The natural flow of conversation is refreshing, with each episode being very different thanks to the guests they invite over for supper. From Ed Sheeran to Sandi Toksvig, the dinner-table discussions vary greatly but are always a perfect blend of fun and informative in to the lives and careers of some very interesting friends of Jessie's.




AYE WRITE with Ruby Wax

Photo from www.ayewrite.com

Mimi alerted me to this event taking place in Glasgow's Royal Concert Hall this month, knowing that I'd been keen to attend having not long finished Ruby Wax's brilliant book A Mindfulness Guide for the Frazzled (another recommendation!). I'd heard of Aye Write, Glasgow's book festival but regrettably had never attended, nor any book event for that matter, so I was intrigued to know what an such event would entail. Ruby Wax was just how you'd imagine her to be- incredibly witty, down-to-earth and her knowledge and understanding of the human brain and it's intricacies frankly astounding. Speaking to a packed auditorium, she not only read exerts from her latest book How to Be Human-The Manual, she also took questions from the audience and shed some light on how she decided to reinvent herself after her career as a comedian and presenter came to an end. She walks the walk and talks the talk when it comes to mental health issues and we left inspired and enlightened...and with a copy of her new book to boot! As it was on my 2018 TO-DO list to attend more events (and read more!) this was a perfect addition to February. Aye Write runs from 15th-25th March and there's heaps of events for you to pop along to. Check out their website https://www.ayewrite.com/Pages/default.aspx



ALL THE GRUB



Birthday celebrations continued in the shape of a quiet meal for two at North Lanarkshire's newest hotspot, The Tipsy Cow in Airdire. I heard some good reviews and wanted to check it our for ourselves. You know I'm a sucker for aesthetics, so I was immediately impressed on arrival at the industrial, quirky decor. Wood, exposed brick, leather and neon sign-age, the space is modern but still has a homely feel to it. 
With friendly, attentive staff we were made to feel welcome and immediately relaxed in to the chilled vibe they've created. I ordered a 'hanging kebab' with flat breads, hummus and fries, whilst Hubby splashed out with a ribeye steak with all the trimmings and we both devoured our meals. A step from pub grub, this trendy venue offers a Market Bar, Brasserie, pre-Theatre and Gluten free menus. From afternoon tea to a Sunday roast, it's the ideal place for a catch up meal with friends or family. I'm already planning a re-visit to try out their breakfast menu!










Mimi and I also ventured to Mezzidakia on St Vincent Street in Glasgow for a pre-Aye Write festival munch. Frequenters of our local Greek restaurant, Omorphia Taverna in Bellshill (where the food takes some beating) and huge fans of Meze Meze in Edinburgh, we're accustomed to seriously tasty, authentic Greek food. Sister restaurant to city centre favourite Topolabamba, Mezzidakia seemed like a safe bet. 
Once again, on first impressions the decor is a winning factor. I don't know what it is about brickwork, candles and rope but I freaking love the stuff! Thankfully the food was as equally impressive. We ordered a few small dishes (meze) to share and each had a Bukharon falafel kebab which was delicious. If you're in the mood for a trying something new, meze is the perfect way to dine with friends. We'll definitely return to Mezzidakia and would recommend the falafel! 



Made Up at Blush Beauty


On the handful of occasions I've been lucky enough to have my make-up applied professionally it's been for a photo-shoot with a particular look in mind and not necessarily what I would have chosen for everyday wear. Donna Nelson of Blush Beauty based in North Lanarkshire has been our beautician for a number of years but never have I treated myself to her outstanding make-up artistry, always opting for a facial or gel manicure. Christmas vouchers from my dear friends were crying out to be exchanged for the many wonderful services Donna offers but on this occasion I decided it was time to have Donna work her magic and Hubby's 40th gathering seemed the perfect event. 




Donna took the time to ask what I was looking for, what I was wearing and gave suggestions for the overall look she was creating. As ever, I was made to feel totally at ease as she worked her magic and boy, did she make me feel like a million dollars! My finished look was exactly right for my colouring, the event and my style-she got it spot on. If you're attending a special event this year, be sure to have your make-up applied by Donna. She's the best in the business and a lovely, friendly gal to boot! Can't wait until next time! Blush Beauty Facebook page: 
https://www.facebook.com/Blush-Beauty-1419721938273300/




How to be a Woman by Caitlin Moran

Have you got a book that you'll read time and time again? A book that when you finished it you felt a pang of sadness as you absorbed the last line? Caitlin Moran's How To be A Woman is that very one for me. I can't believe I hadn't read it before now but like so many others, it's been gathering dust on my bookshelf for long and weary. Described on the back cover as "part memoir, part rant" this blow by blow account of how a 13 year old girl navigated the weird and soften cruel roller-coaster of womanhood is spectacular. Periods, love, bras, sexism and abortion thrown in for a heavy dose of reality, with every issue it's like she's speaking to you...it's like she is you and when she's not being you, she's your mate....only way more cool! The writing is flawless and it speaks to you and your 13 year old self like no one ever could. And yes, I did pick it up in a charity shop for £1! 





And there you have it....February's High Fives. Enjoy discovering some new faves and if you're in the North Lanarkshire area, I'll see you at The Tipsy Cow for brunch....just as soon as this snow stops!!

Over and out,

Weesse x

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.