Thursday 16 April 2015

DIY vs Stuff That!



 Each time I tell friends we are doing some home improvements, every single person says the same thing to me....  
'You're ALWAYS decorating!!!!!' 

And although I think it's a slight exaggeration, I guess in comparison to others, hubby & I choose to play at Changing Rooms a fair bit it would seem. We've lived in our house for 10 years & have decorated the living room 4 times and the kitchen 4-5 (One big overhaul post-flood & then several colour scheme changes over the years) which actually I don't think is excessive. A fresh lick of paint & new cushions on the couch is enough to transform your surroundings. Like with your wardrobe, your tastes are everchanging so it makes perfect sense to me to alter the colours & 'themes' of each room in the house through time.

 Hubby & I normally are very hands on & DIYers when it comes to decorating. Not that I love agonising over staying perfectly within the lines when painting an entire room with the tiniest brush to ensure precision but it's always made sense to us to just muck in & get the job done-although a few hours in you can bet we're both regretting it big time. I always assumed I could be costly to have a decorator in, however for the first time ever we recently decided to get a professional in to do the painting, wallpapering & glossing of both our living room & kitchen. This has afforded us the luxury of being able to ponder over colour schemes, soft furnishings & the finer details of how each space should look post-decorating. There's less chance of 
the novelty wearing off if I don't need to clutch a roller & don my painting clothes for 3 days straight, my back breaking throughout. Needless to say, I'm excited....and relieved! 


A few months back we decided to overhaul our bedroom which was crying out for a little TLC. I have a real love affair with grey (the hallway is grey, as will be the kitchen!). I don't know what it is but I really do love the 50 shades of grey that you  have to wade your way through in the shop to finally select the right one! Keeping it cool & light, we aimed at making the bedroom a minimal, bright space to chill out in during the day but then a cosy Inviting hub to curl up in at night. 


 


I absolutely love spending time in our bedroom now. It's my favourite room to be in. 

Paint: Dulux Chic Shadow 
Curtains & Metal tiebacks: Dunelm 
Photo frames: Ikea (wallpaper samples inside!) 
Bedding: Tesco 



 Our living room has been very green for the last 4-5 years with a busy, stripey featurewall dictating the overall theme of the room. It still looks pretty fresh actually & certainly not dated but I felt it was just time for something more mellow. 

 Opting for oatmeal, neutral tones this time, I want the room to feel spacious, bright but have a comfy, cosy feel to it like the bedroom. We're adding a coffee table which immediately changes the whole look of the room as it's such a large piece. 



 I plan to add lots of different cushions to our leather couches to give it the comfortable vibe we're going for & a new statement chair which I'm in love with (it actually inspired the whole look of the room!)


I picked a few ornaments fronTKMaxx the other day. It's such a great place for finding one-off, unusual pieces that will just finish a room. 





Wish us luck! Will post on the finished rooms asap! 

W xy

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.