Wednesday 14 January 2015

The Pursuit of Happiness...and JLo and Dirty Patios



 I spotted on Facebook that ITV's This Morning are doing a week-long feature on what makes you happy. They're asking folks to Tweet and tag them in Instagram pics and so it naturally got me to thinking about what makes me happy. If I were to send one photo to the show, what would it be of? 

 Encouragingly I'm having a hard time to pin it down to just one! I have so many things and of course, people in my life that bring me so much joy that it would be a near impossible task to select the one thing/person/scenario that beats all others.....without offending folks too I guess. I also get so much pleasure in being kind to others and trying to be the best the person I can be. We could be here all week folks.  However, my nearest and dearest aside and forgetting all the 'being a good person' malarkey, I thought it important/interesting to look outside the box a tad (negating the obvious like, dance, dogs and beautiful sunsets...blah blah blah) and focus in on the simple things in life that make me happy....even if it's only for a moment. Unlike Pharrell, I don't require a room without a roof. I ain't no diva,  my daily rider merely specifies just a few little things that are guaranteed to brighten up my day. Forget the 7 Deadly Sins, I have seven ways to make one Weesse very happy. 

 They're in no particular order....just as they came to mind.



1. Colour schemes


Yup! Love a good colour scheme me! I emphasize the word good as I see many decorating situations on social media daily, where I would say the choice in colour collaborations ain't to my liking sadly. Each to their own and all that. Rob and I were in the 'pound shop' (not sure of it's exact name-there's that bloomin' many of them!) only just the other week, waiting in the queue to be served, when I remarked on the collective colour scheme of their display of 2015 diaries at the tills. On sight, the pistachios, muted corals and dark beiges instantly pleased me to the point of, well....happiness!. I can trawl Pinterest for hours just looking at colour swatches and combinations. Rock and Roll!




2. Coffee

 Adore the stuff. I drink waaaaay too much of it and do not discriminate when it comes to blend, brand or condiments. If you say it's coffee....I'll have it thanks! Of course I do have a few faves but I ain't too fussy and will take whatever's on the go really. Everything about it makes me happy-the smell, the taste, the look, the warm, fuzzy feeling.....this is getting a bit weird, eh?! Anywho, I love it more than tea (sorry tea jennies) and drink it every day in life and I have no intention of giving it up in any way, shape or form. It's my only vice and it makes me reeeeeeeeally happy. Got it??!!!!!!!(Oh, maybe I need a cup right now??!)  



3. An Unread Magazine


 Don't you just love it when you have a brand-new, untouched magazine sitting on the coffee/bedside table awaiting your attention?! The pages are pristine and the spine unbroken.... actual perfection. It's all glossy and smooth and new....and yes, I'm the person who'll take the one at the back of the pile to ensure these requirements are met before purchasing. 
  If we're then moving on to what doesn't make Weessa happy, it's when folks pick up said magazine you've bought and flick through it before you. They don't even commit to reading anything or stop to inspect a particular article or item of clothing, they're merely flick and flippantly return the now partially spoiled magazine to it's resting place, where you then have to look like that situation didn't just boil your blood and make you have a mild inner panic attack! Yup, take note, don't touch my unread magazine. That my friends, would make me happy!
 On the same line, I like new diaries, notebooks etc. They're so pretty and new and lovely! Sadly I don't have particularly neat or nice handwriting, so the minute I have to start inputting info in to a new pad, the happiness rapidly depletes. I instantly (even if I'm trying my damnedest not to) make a mistake and have to score it out or write over the top of it...basically just eradicating the joy in one fell swoop. Real-life problems peeps!  



4.  Photos of JLo


Putting it out there folks. I love me some JLo time. She is my ultimate girl crush and there's nothing I like doing more than Pinteresting pics of the Latino goddess (between colour schemes obvs!) and appreciating her insane good looks and awesome body. There, I said it! It comes from a burning desire to want to be JLo but that ain't happening any day soon, so I take it on the chin and do my weekly research (aka stalking) in the hope that one day (when I'm 45....she is 45! What the actual?!?) when I grow up, I'll look like her. Better make a start on the abs work and facial surgery now, eh?! 
 Don't you be dissing JLo...I love her music, films, book (hubby bought me it for Crimbo) and I don't care what you say, she is dabomb.com  and you'll all eat your words when I'm running around, age 45, looking like all sorts of JLo-ness. Until then, photos of her will continue to make me unapologetically, blissfully happy. 



5. Crumpets.......and Breakfast in general.


As you'll already know from my post 'My Name is Weesse and I'm Addicted to....' ( and if you don't, why haven't you read it?! Call yourself a mate?!!) I have a love affair with crumpets. Can't get enough of them but really, I just love breakfasty things and breakfast time in general. My all-time faves include crumpets with hot, mashed banana and cinnamon; pancakes; Eggs Benedict; smoked salmon and scrambled eggs and croque monsieur. All of course served with cwaaffeee! Whether I'm preparing it or dining out,  I just love so many of the potential dishes open to me (using my basic culinary skill set) and the scope for having, not one, but a selection of different things....fruit, juice, coffee, eggs, toast, yogurt etc. Hotel breakfasts are the shizz! I'm not your fry-up kinda gal but I do like me some mushrooms and scrambled eggs with a slice of wholemeal toast. Yum! The pastries and the continental options float my boat big time and I get a tad excited at the prospect of what a new hotel will have on offer. 
 It's the first thing I think about when I wake up everyday and if I'm not getting my bahookie out of bed and heading straight for the kitchen, then there's something seriously wrong with me. Call the doctor! Breakfast is my favourite meal....there was once a time when I lived on Fruit n Fibre (true story!) and although I'm not currently a big cereal fan, I'll take anything breakfasty really. It is my most important meal of the day and as I write this I'm already excited about tomorrow's. Happy is a plate of toasted, buttered crumpets.



6.  New Pants 


 And bra....matching ones that is. I adore new underwear. I honestly think wearing a matching set (especially if it's brand new) lifts the spirit. I am guilty of not always (and by that I mean, almost never...) wearing matching underwear. Feel like I'm starting to over-share here but I'm hoping many of you gals out there will identify with this and appreciate my honesty. Underwear shopping hasn't always been my favourite of tasks to be fair (it's up there with trying on trousers....avoided at all costs!) but in saying that, when I do find the perfect set there is an excitement and sense of occasion when I wear it for the first time. Maybe I should aim to buy and wear more matching undies in 2015...that way I'll be continually happy. Boom, done! If you meet me in the street though and I seem pretty chirpy, please don't ask if I'm wearing matching underwear as that's just plain awkward. 



7. Seeing the Dirt Come Out of Things


Hubby will chuckle on reading this as he has first-hand knowledge of the sheer joy that is felt when I witness the dirt come out/off of any item. This has in the past included, the patio being jet-washed; the leather couch being steam cleaned; shampooing carpets; using Oven Pride. Sounds like our house is bogging. I assure you it ain't. These were all separate incidences where we decided to give these items a good old clean and the results for me were stupendously satisfying. I mean I'm not a clean/neat freak or anything, going around scrubbing everything in sight but I just love that moment when you've decided to give something a proper deep clean and you can see it working beautifully. Shiny, squeaky cleanness.  
  Hubby has also fallen victim to this on a number of occasions  when I have persuaded him to let me give him a facial after a hard day's graft. If you've got the day's dirt on your skin, I'm more than happy to clean it off for you. Just sayin'. 




 So to summarise, HAPPY for me is....

 Jennifer Lopez bringing me crumpets and mashed banana in my beautifully colour coordinated room, as I admire my untouched copy of Grazia, sipping coffee and wearing my new new undies, as hubby (in sight) jet-washes the patio. 



Note how I said hubby jet-washing the patio! I don't need to actually be the one doing the cleaning per say, just witnessing it is enough.

I'm pretty sure the above scenario (as weird and slightly perverse as it sounds) is relatively achievable.......

Although, Grazia ain't out til next week..... bummer! 


Over and out,
W x

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.