Monday 22 May 2017

Girl, put your records on.....







Music has always played such an important role in both our lives. Our dad is a guitarist, our mum a huge music fan and we both danced, played guitar and sang from an early age. Music has the power to allow you to escape, often back to happy times where you can reminisce about the adventures and milestones you've enjoyed along the way! It can also help you to dream bigger, push you towards your goals and sometimes it can remind us of the things we wish we could forget. There have been so many studies proving that music helps those suffering from the likes of Alzheimer's and Dementia to recall long-forgotten memories and improve quality of life through singing and enjoying music. 

A few years back I bought a Crosley record player and dug out my old vinyl collection. Listening to those albums instantly transported me back in time to my bedroom when I was a kid. I spent hours listening to my favourite pop-stars and bands, singing along and making up dance routines.  I recently read What Olivia Did's piece, 'Soundtrack to My Life' (I'm also a big fan of the BBC's Desert Island Discs podcast series) and it made me think of the songs that I would consider my soundtrack and the artists who have influenced my personal life, as well as my work as a choreographer. And eh voilà, here's my list thus far.....




Child's Play- 'I Love your Smile' Shanice. 
I adored this song when I was 9 years old. The hook was just so catchy! It reminds me of Sunday's spent by my HiFi in my bedroom listening to the charts on the radio. 



First Timer- 'Run to You' Bryan Adams 
The first concert I ever went to was Bryan Adams, Waking Up the Neighbours Tour with my dad. It was at Celtic Park on the 11th July 1992 and I'll never forget it. I became a huge fan, so much so my mum invited him to my 18th birthday party (no, sadly he couldn't make it!). There's not a song of his I don't like but if I were to choose a favourite it would have to be 'Run to You'. Rob and I danced to the song 'When You love Someone' at our wedding so that's another one I love hearing. 



Guilty pleasure- 'Bits & Pieces' Artemesia
I was never in to dance music growing up- I much preferred R&B and chart music when it came to dance-floor faves but I've always absolutely loved this! It just makes me want to jump up and down! I can't stay still when I hear it. I now use it as warm up track in classes!



Let the Good Times Roll- 'You can Do It' Ice Cube 
This takes me back to Thursday nights at Blanket when I was a student. I'd drive me and the girls in to town and we'd go to the club with the sole intention of dancing all night long. The music was amazing and we had such a great time together.



The Mamas and The Papas -

'Fast Car' Tracy Chapman 
Any time I hear this song I think of our mum. Sunday night was hair washing night was I was a kid (I had extremely long hair which was washed, dried and subsequently pleated for the week ahead at school). It would be just us 3 girls at home so mum would play her favourite albums. London's Burning would be on TV and you'd get the Sunday night back-to-school blues when you heard the opening theme song. 

'Born in the U.S.A' Bruce Springsteen 
Our dad is a big time fan of The Boss so any track of his tends to make me think of him but this reminds me of a T-shirt he brought back for me from a concert when I was only little. I wish I could find it as it was pretty cool- it would be classed as vintage now I reckon.  





Ma Jam- 'P.Y.T' Michael Jackson
I have been a huge MJ fan my entire life. He was such a hero of mine and so any track of his is bound to get my groovin' but whenever I hear the opening bars of this it just takes over my whole body. It was from the album Thriller which I still have on vinyl!

Love of My Life - 'Groove is in the Heart' Deee-Lite
My hubby Rob knows all the words to this- it's a real favourite of his so when I hear it I can't help but smile as I think of him singing it. It's just a cool track that makes you want boogie! 


Karaoke Queen- 'Don't Speak' No Doubt
When Rob and I started dating we'd go to the local pub on a Sunday night for karaoke. I had a few songs that I'd do every week and this was one of them. I've always loved Gwen Stefani- she's just one cool lady and that song just reminds me of being young falling in love for the first time.  



Farewell Fanfare-  'You've Got A Friend' James Taylor
Probably my favourite song of all time! We actually sang it as part of our wedding ceremony so I guess it would be fitting to play it as I take my final bow. It's just beautiful and I'd hope it would remind the special people in my life how much I loved them. 



I have waaaaay more favourites but I feel that's a decent selection for now. Has that made you think of what you'd put on your list or has it encouraged you to look up the tracks and have a little boogie to yourself? Go on, be honest....we won't tell anyone! 

Happy listening,
Weesse x

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.