Wednesday 17 January 2018

The High Fives- January 2018 Catch Up



Happy New Year peeps! So you'll have noticed that being firmly locked in to 2018, I've failed miserably to offer up any recommendations now for THREE months! Full to the brim with excuses, I'll gracefully refrain from boring you with the deets-let's just say 'life happened'! You get me, right?! Anywho it's not too late to round up some firm faves discovered along the way, thus bridging the noticeable gap and hopefully offering a helping hand in to what is clearly now Winter! 


PODCASTS

The commutes continue to be frequent and lengthy sadly. An avid fan of a podcast to help soothe the agony of the stop/start traffic, I've been enjoying a few new finds as well as my usual faves. If you want fun but topical, laid back but punchy talk show-esque vibes, be sure to check out 'Is it Just Me?' with Jo Elvin and James Williams (formerly of Glamour magazine). Not too heavy for an early morning brain to digest, each episode gets you pondering over a variety of subjects with plenty giggles in there for good measure, with guests including Davina McCall, Nigella Lawson and Gok Wan. 

For something a little more intense, Under the Skin with Russell Brand tackles politics, global issues, mental health and a plethora of topics in great detail, with a special guest on each episode. I particularly enjoyed the episode with Ruby Wax- such an inspirational, wise, witty woman. Having just finished her brilliant book A Mindfulness Guide for the Frazzled I'm keen to go listen to that episode once again. If you're looking to explore some of life's more challenging, thought-provoking issues this is the podcast for you. 




LIVE ENTERTAINMENT 

Every year I make a vow to go see more shows, be it music, theatre or comedy but alas never quite manage to go as often as planned. At the tail-end of last year I did go to a few music gigs which totally sparked the bug for catching more live entertainment. In October I saw Lady Antebellum in concert at SSE Hydro and they did not disappoint. If you like rock or country music you should definitely check them out. They're known mostly for their hit 'Need You Now'

In the same month hubby and I were delighted to catch one of our all-time favourite artists live at Glasgow's O2 Academy. Jason Isbell is a singer-songwriter (formerly of the band The Drive-By Truckers) who Rob discovered a few years ago and has listened to daily ever since. A wonderful story teller, he has a unique sound with each track taking you on an emotional journey. Every song feels like he's bearing his soul and to see him and his band the 400 Unit live you understand where the drive to make meaningful music comes from. You must go listen to 'Cover Me Up' now!

2018 HAS to be filled with more outings to see live performances- it's so good for the soul, don't you think?! As someone who works in the arts the irony is I'm often the one producing content for performances  and not actually seeing any. We kicked off January with a night at a Glasgow's comedy club, The Stand which was so much fun. Here's to more outings!



ALL THINGS INTERIORS


I've acquired the title of 'Serial Decorator' amongst my friends which I feel is a tad harsh but admittedly I do love a lick of paint, a regular jaunt to Ikea and any excuse to revamp our two-bedroom terraced abode. Our bathroom and hallway are in need of freshening up and so, with the green light from hubby, I'm currently in decorating mode....and loving it! Inspiration comes mainly from Pinterest (what did we do without it?) and my Instagram feed which is chock full of beautiful interiors to swoon over. I've never been one to purchase home magazines-if I'm honest I'm too thrifty to spend the money on them. However there is something to be said for sitting down with a cuppa and flicking through a glossy publication filled with the dreamiest of images to inspire your next revamp session. I was kindly gifted a year's subscription to ELLE DECORATION magazine by mum and let me tell you, the thrill of receiving something so beautiful in the post (as opposed to the usual bills and bumph) is not to be dismissed-I was so excited when the first issue arrived! They are currently offering a 6 months subscription for only £10! I may not be able to afford anything in the magazine but it's giving me major inspo for our decorating spree and also makes for a chic coffee table addition. Winner! 


Check out our progress via our Instagram page. Job one complete-pallet wall erected! 












PATTERN

 I love fashion and although I wouldn't say I've been particularly adventurous in my choices over the years, there has been a noticeable shift in my style as I've gotten older. Like my decorating habits, I take inspiration from Instagram and Pinterest mainly, pinning my favourite looks in an album hoping to recreate them one day. 'New year, new you' and all that jazz sparked a need for prints-something with which I tend to play it safe and don't dabble much in. Embracing the January sales and the Christmas money burning a hole in my pocket, I opted for a few new pieces to inject some colour, texture and more importantly, pattern into my wardrobe for the year ahead. At only £5 this H&M shirt wasn't much of a gamble, although I did hesitate a little, as the floaty, Dynasty-esque sleeves and pussy-bow neckline seemed like very bold choices for me. Ultimately it was the polka-dots that sold it for me and alas I've grown to love it! Teamed with a pleather mini skirt and chunky aviator jacket it's first outing was a success and I can indeed conclude that I'll be wearing it throughout 2018! Sadly I couldn't find it on line for you but here's a few that tickled my fancy in the H&M sale and are along the same lines (all 3 images sources from H&M's website). 

















No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.